The Essay for UPSC is also one of the most important papers out of the 9 papers in the UPSC mains examination. In your essay paper you have to write two essays with a word count of 1000-2000 words. You have four topics out of which you have to choose one topic. The Essay paper is 250 marks.
If you are thinking “How to write essay for UPSC” then you are at the right place. Read this article till you don’t miss any important points.
Preparation of Essay for UPSC
- Don’t devote much of your time to Essay preparation. Many toppers have given 1-2 week time for UPSC preparation. They have done it nicely.
- If you have a strong general studies knowledge + strong reading habits and a decent command of English then you can write on any topic easily.
- Try to structure and draw outlines of certain essays which have appeared in the last three years’ papers.
- There is already too much information overloaded already on the web or you try to study the essay books which are available in the market, I am not saying it is wrong but this is not practically possible to remember all the quotes or essays.
Sources of Essay for UPSC
- You don’t need any special books for essays but the essay module of Rajaram and Ravi is good you can go for it.
- If you are not reading the Hindu well or not covered all the editorials well then you can cover the lessons by Jatin Verma.
- Yojana is one of the best ultimate sources for writing the best essays. Their article is of very high quality.
- At Least, try to read a newspaper daily, bookmark the important articles which have catchy phrases and which you think can help you in the exam Hall.
How to write Essay for UPSC
- Read the topics of the Essay properly: This is one of the most important steps in this process. You have been given four topics out of which you have to choose 1 topic. While choosing your topic, read each topic carefully whether you have enough idea on that topic or not. Don’t pick topics like – controversial topics like politics, scams, or sensitive topics like feminism.
- Think some time: After choosing your topic, don’t write immediately. Take some thinking on that topic and collect some information. Write the important points with a pencil. Once you have made your rough points you can start your essay writing accordingly.
- While writing you must write according to a good structure. A good structure is given below–
- Introduction of the Essay
- Historical aspect
- Main problem / subject / issue
- Current news related to the Essay
- The positive and negative aspect of the topic
- Obstacles ( if any )
- Reforms/way forward
• In the between of your essay you can add certain points which may impress your invigilator–
- Relevant quotes told by famous personalities
- Relevant articles/laws
- Relevant government schemes/policies
- Always try to write your essay in simple English and don’t make any grammatical errors.
- Keep your essay in short sentences or short paragraphs. Give examples for proper understanding.
- Always try to conclude your essay with a positive vision.
- While writing an essay, don’t only focus on the present problems and try to give solutions to it.
- Never criticize the government / administration in your essay excessively.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
(1) How to write essay for UPSC ?
ANS- If you are reading this article till now you must have got answer to your question.
(2) How to write a good essay for UPSC ?
ANS- 8 Tips for writing an excellent essay
- Essay writing is a daunting affair for most working students today. …
- Read the essay prompt carefully and understand the question. …
- Pick a topic. …
- Create an outline. …
- Sample outline: …
- Write your essay: Create a thesis statement. …
- Write the introductory paragraph. …
- Write the body paragraphs.
So that’s it. Hope you have liked this article on “How to write essay for UPSC“.
f I have missed anything regarding this article tell me in the comment section below.
If you have any queries related to UPSC exam preparation feel free to ask me on Instagram.